How to reset a fixed mind-set?
January 09, 2021
“Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I’m possible”
- Audrey Hepburn
Is your mind constantly stopping you from achieving your dreams or encouraging you to push yourself harder?
Do you often feel stuck and lack motivation to accomplish your goals or are you charged each day to grow?
Does life feel like a burden or do you take the hard moments as challenges and determine to overcome them?
If these questions seem familiar to you then you are at the right place. And if the answer to the former part of the question is yes then it’s time for you to reset your mind-set to growth, self-development and abundance.
Our mind plays a very important role in determining the course of our lives. It forms our perspective on what we think about ourselves, our self-belief and how we respond to situations in life. The truth is, what we believe in consciously or sub-consciously can set parameters on what we can or cannot achieve.
While we all know that change is the only constant, one aspect we always forget is to constantly work on our personal development to be able to face the change. It is normal to fear change sometimes but it is also possible to get rid of this mental hurdle.
Why is it important to get rid of the fixed mind-set?
Well, the answer is simple! Limiting beliefs, negative self-talk, fear, hesitance, and judgement are all a by-product of having a fixed mind-set. Such emotions pull you away from unleashing your inner potential, contributing to the thought, ‘I am not good enough’. Whether you are an entrepreneur, a working professional, a home-maker or a student, having self-sabotaging thoughts will lead to undesired results.
On the brighter side, by following a few simple steps, you can begin the shift to the direction of progress. Please note that certain situations may require deeper interventions by Life Coaches, NLP or Hypnotherapy professionals to embed the positive thoughts into the sub-conscious of the individual and help them get rid of fear, pain, judgement, guilt and shame.
We are sharing a guide to help you begin this process of gradual change:
- Prioritize personal development: Making time for yourself despite your regular routine requires a strong commitment. It will not only enhance your skills but also your confidence.
- Positive affirmations: While we have read this several times, it is a powerful tool to reprogram your mind to growth. Every morning give yourself 10 minutes and stand in front of the mirror repeating empowering phrases such as – “I am capable, I am powerful, I can do it, I am beautiful, I love and accept myself”. Such phrases will help you accept your present and motivate you to work for a desired future.
- Journaling: Writing 3 positive things about your day can boost your self-esteem and help you keep record of your progress towards your goal.
- Visualise your success: Imagining yourself living your dreams! See yourself driving your dream car, acing an exam, winning the best entrepreneur award, or just seeing everyone happy. This small exercise can set the tone of your day. Each day lived with the commitment to your dream will contribute to your mind-set reset!
- Seek help: Trying to do everything can feel good but also over-burden you. Hence, don’t hesitate from seeking help. Seek advice, learn from other people or read their stories.
We hope these points help you to progress into a growth mind-set. You feel powerful when you believe that you can improve, when you are resilient in the face of challenges and you love and accept yourself.
About the author
Samira Gupta is a Coach, Consultant, Speaker and Author, with over 22 years of experience in the corporate world and over 7 years in corporate training, executive presence coaching and image consulting. She aims to bring about a 360° transformation in her client’s lives.